Domine Selyns' New York Streets
The map presented in Appendix A of the the Year Book of the Holland Society of New York, 1916 does not identify the street names well. The information given in the text can have various interpretations. We feel rather confident about our analysis. But if you see an error, please let know, so that it can be corrected.
De Heergracht, later named Broad Street
Street identifications have been added to a portion of
The key is below.
Key to Street Names
Over the centuries the names of the streets in lower Manhattan have changed. Appendix C of "Domine Henricus Seluyn's Records" in the Year Book of the Holland Society, 1916, contains some information about the changes in the street names. The following are some additional notes about the changes from various sources. The number and letter keys are identical with those used by Selyns. Appendix C is provided at the bottom of this page for comparison.
The names used by Selyns are in bold type. The English equivalents of the those names are in italic type. Later names are in regular type.
1. Breedeweg. Broadway. Also spelled Breedwegh. Broadway between Bowling Green and Park Row. Broad Wagon Way was the name of Broadway in 1670.
2. Beurs straet. Whitehall Street.
3. Paerl straet. Pearl Street. Near the junction of present Pearl and Whitehall streets.
4. Langs strant. Along the Strand or Along the Shore. Pearl Street.
5. Langs de Wal. Along the Wall. Wall Street. This street was also called Het Cingle, Single Street, or The Cingel, the south side of Wall Street, the city wall being on the north side.
6. Nieuwe Straet. New Street.
7. Bever straet. Beaver Street.
8. Marckvelt straet. Marketfield Street was the original name of Battery Place between Broadway and the Hudson River.
Marketfield Street, was known as Petticoat Lane. The first church devoted exclusively to the French was here, later this site was covered by the Produce Exchange.
9. Brouwers straet. Brewer's Street. It was one of the earliest streets laid out by the Dutch, and received this name on account of the Brewery of the West India Company being located on it. Since 1797, it has been known as Stone Street, having been called High Street in 1674, and Duke Street in 1691.
Duke Street was original name of Stone Street. During the Dutch times a part was known as Brouwers Straat, and another part as Hoogh Straat; in 1674 it was known as High Street and a part as Stone Street. In 1691 it was called Duke Street and since 1797 it has been known as Stone Street. This street was the first to be paved with stone in the city.
10. Brug straet. Bridge Street. Bridge Lane was a narrow street about twenty-two feet wide which ran between Bridge and Stone Streets. It was closed about 1674.
11-12. Heergracht. The Main Ditch. Heer Graft, in High Dutch, was the name given by the Dutch to the present Broad Street between Beaver and Pearl streets. In 1657 it was one of the earliest streets laid out in the city; and received its name on account of the narrow canal which ran through the center.This canal was filled in about 1676 and the street was called Broad Street. It was sometimes spelled Heeren Gracht.
13. Hoog straet. High Street was the name of Stone Street east of Broad Street prior to 1664.
14. Slyck straet. Mud Street. Dirty Lane original name of South William Street. This street was opened about 1656 and was called by the Dutch Slyck Steegh, meaning Dirty Lane. In 1674 it was called Mill Street Lane, in 1691 Mill Lane, and the name changed to South William Street about 1832.
15. Princen straet. Princess Street was the original name of Beaver Street between William and Wall streets. During the time of the Dutch it was known as Prinsen Straet.
16. Koninck straet. King Street was the former name of Pine Street.
17. Smit straet. Smith Street. In 1728 this street was known as Little Queen Street. Since 1793 it was known as Cedar Street.
Smith Street, Smee Straet, Smeedes Straet, and Smit Street were the former names of William Street between Wall and Pearl streets. Smith Street was the original name of Cedar Street between William and West streets. It was known in 1691 as Smith Street, in 1728 as Little Queen Street, and known since 1794 as Cedar Street.
Smith Street was the original name of East Broadway. Smith Street Lane was the original name of Beaver Street between William and Broad streets.
a. Smits Vallye. Smith's Valley. Smith Street Valley, Smith's Valt, Smith's Valley, and Smith's Vly were the former names of Pearl Street between Wall Street and Peck Slip.
b. Buyten de Landtpoort. Beyond the Land Gate. The portion of Breedeweg outside and north of the city wall.
The locations "c" through "g" are beyond the area portrayed in the map, with "d" through "g" on Long Island. See Appendix C below.
Brierly, J. Ernest. The Streets of Old New York: A Pictorial Rebirth of a Vanished City. New York, Hastings House, 1953. 127 p. illus. 22 cm.
Dunshee, Kenneth Holcomb. As You Pass By. New York: Hastings House, 1952. 270 p. illus. (part col.) ports., maps. 29 cm.
Janvier, Thomas Allibone. In Old New York: A Clasic History of New York City. New York: St. Martin's Press, 2000. 285 p. : ill., maps ; 21 cm.