William

William Henry Roll


Welcome to the new and improved Roll Family Windmill website! We have upgraded our authoring tools to design and create content and present it to you with style. We will be better able to maintain content and share information about the genealogy of the Roll and allied families.


They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old: Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning, We will remember them. --Laurence Binyon,"Ode of Remembrance"


I have gathered a posie of other men's flowers, and nothing but the string that binds them is mine own. --Michel Eyquem de Montaigne


Documenting your family history is a lifelong pursuit, a task of pleasure and research that is never completely finished.


Not to know one's ancestors, is to be a tree without roots, a stream without a source. --Kung-fut-se


The wind whispers through the trees, recalling words and dreams and memories of those who left us long ago. --Unknown


St. Basil of Caesarea, born about 330 A.D., said, "A tree is known by its fruit; a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost; he who sows courtesy reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love."



WeRelate.com

This website was created the old-fashioned way; it has been hand coded.



keep calm



The Reformed Dutch Church of Staten Island

The First Congregation

"There was a church at Richmond prior to 1717, built probably in 1662 for in that year, 1717...the churches of Fresh Kill and Stony Brook united with the Dutch at Richmond, and a new church ediface was erected...and the three churches became one."

Source: Clute, J. J. Annals of Staten Island. New York: Press of Chas. Vogt 1877, pp. 256-257.


line


The First Ediface, 1680

"There are traces of a church on the North side, about 1680, in which the services were in the Dutch language, the Hollanders having settled in considerable numbers along the Kills."

Source: Clute, J. J. Annals of Staten Island. New York: Press of Chas. Vogt 1877, p. 255.


line


1696

"...the date of the organization of a church on the North Side is not positively known, but that it was at a very early date, it evident from the title page of the old baptismal record...is as follows:

"'Register Boek Van De Namen Der Kinderen Dewelck Gedoopt Bennen Op Staten Eylandt Beginne Van Het Jaer Anno 1696.' In English 'Register book of the names of children which have been baptized on Staten Island, beginning from the year 1696.'"

Source: Clute, J. J. Annals of Staten Island. New York: Press of Chas. Vogt 1877, p. 257.


line


The Second Ediface, 1714

"In 1714 Governor Hunter executed a grant to the Reformed Protestant Dutch Church, to build a new church on the North Shore, probably on the site of the one which...existed thirty-four years before."

Source: Clute, J. J. Annals of Staten Island. New York: Press of Chas. Vogt 1877, p. 256.


line


1717

"...the Waldenses had united with the Dutch and French Huguenots in forming a church at Richmond..."

Source: Clute, J. J. Annals of Staten Island. New York: Press of Chas. Vogt 1877, p. 258.


line


1751

"There is a ground plan of the old church in existence, hexagonal in figure, dated 1751, which is divided into eighty-four pews, with the names of owners or occupants written in most of them, from which it is evident that the congregation must have been a large one for that period."


Diagram of the second ediface

Diagram of the second ediface



Key to the diagram

Key to the diagram


Source: Clute, J. J. Annals of Staten Island. New York: Press of Chas. Vogt 1877. pp. 452-453.


RDC Port Richmond seats 1751

Reformed Dutch Church, Port Richmond seats 1751


Source: Wright, Tobias Alexander. Staten Island Church Records. New York: New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 1909, flyleaf.


line



RDC Port Richmond seats 1751

Reformed Dutch Church, Port Richmond seats 1751
from
Illustrated sketch book of Staten island, New York p. 113


Source: Judson, Selden C. Illustrated sketch book of Staten island, New York. New York, S. C. Judson, 1886, p. 113.


line


"In a list of the members and seat-holders, dated Sept. 30th. 17[5]1, of the Reformed Dutch Church of Port Richmond, Staten Island, Jan Roll is shown as holding seat 40. This church was built about 1714 and partially destroyed by the British during the Revolutionary War."

Source: Wilson, Richard Timbrook. Genealogy of the Roll Family. Ridgewood, NJ: 1921, p. 72.

Wright, Tobias Alexander. Staten Island Church Records. New York: New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 1909, flyleaf.

Clute, John J. Annals of Staten Island, NY: 1877, p. 453.


line


"On September 30, 1751, JOHN ROLL, JR. is shown as being a member of and occupying seat #34 of the Christian Low Dutch Church of Staten Island (Reformed Dutch Church in Port Richmond).

Source: Clute, John J. Annals of Staten Island, NY: 1877, p. 453.

Wilson, Richard Timbrook. Genealogy of the Roll Family. Ridgewood, NJ: 1921, p. 73.

Wright, Tobias Alexander. Staten Island Church Records. New York: New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 1909, flyleaf.


line


The Roll Family Seats, September 30, 1751

Jan Roll in seat #40 is Johannes Roll, son of Jan Mangels. His spouse was Margrietje "Grittue" Van Borkelo, widow of Jan Harmensen Van Borkelo.

John Roll, Jr. is in seat #34 is the son of Jan Roll, son of Jan Mangels.


line


The Destruction of the Second Ediface, abt. 1776

"The old church having been destroyed during the Revolution, because it also was a rebel church, and which stood a few feet north of the present ediface...

Source: Clute, J. J. Annals of Staten Island. New York: Press of Chas. Vogt 1877, p. 259.