Eglise Françoise à la Nouvelle York
The French Church of New York, Births, Marriages, and Deaths 1688-1804
The Second French Protestant Church, Du St. Esprit,
in New York
The French Church, erected on King, now Pine Street, in 1704, was plastered on the outside. It was 70 feet long and 50 wide, and was used till 1831. The view above is from Queens, now Cedar, Street, showing the tower and church-yard, which were in the rear of the ediface; and is enlarged from a wood-cut by Anderson, after a drawing by Davis, in the New York Mirror of July 27, 1830.
Eglise Françoise à la Nouvelle York: Births, Marriages, and Deaths from 1688 to 1804 is, indeed, a rare book. We own one of only 500 printed. Our copy was once the property of the New Jersey Historical Society's library.
Help for Interpretation
of the Records in the French
Only the birth, marriage, and death records in this book are in the original French language The vocabulary is very limited. With the little list of frequently used words provided here, the meaning can be quickly determined. The problem area is mainly interpreting the dates. Unfortunately, the editor of the book did not include an aid to interpretation. Use the link above for help.