The Dutch Boroughs of Brooklyn
The original six Dutch towns of Brooklyn
The first settlements of [Kings County] were made mostly by the Dutch, about 1625. In 1640, a colony of Mass[achusetts] Quakers, in quest of religious freedom, settled at Gravesend under the protection of the Dutch Government. Long previous to the English conquest of 1664, settlements had been made, mills erected, and churches and schools established in every town in the [county].
The settlers were so exclusively Dutch that the Dutch language and customs prevailed until within a comparatively recent period. Bushwick, Brooklyn, Flatbush, Flatlands, and New Utrecht were known under the English Government as the Five Dutch Towns; and they were associated, for certain purposes, until 1690.
The Five Towns also formed an ecclesiastical society, and joined in the support of their minister until the final separation of the American church from the Classis of Holland, in 1772.
Source: French, J.H.,
Gazetteer of the State of New York, Syracuse, N.Y.: R. Pearsall Smith, 1860. p. 366.
|The Dutch Boroughs of Brooklyn
|Flatbush||1652||Vlacke Bos, Midwout||wooded plain|
|Flatlands||1647||Niew Amersfoort||Amersfoort, Nederland|
|New Utrecht||1657||Nieuw Utrecht||Utrecht, Nederland|